Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tidying Up & Sorting Out

As I run around after the kids - which seems increasingly less and less as they become more and more independant - this picture was sent to me as part of an e-mail and it stood out to me.



As the kids have grown I've dutifully folded away their outgrown clothing - put it in bags and stored it away..... Why?

Well to be honest I have no idea why.... why keep clothing from when your child was 2, but is now 6 and will be 7 in a few months? Posterity? Holding on to the past?

Dunno, but I did.... Until last Sunday I had each piece of clothing - that didn't end up holey - kept away. Sunday I decided that I had to do something about it - a whole huge cupboard space filled with old outgrown clothing.

Looking through the clothes their were pieces that were never worn and barely worn. And the memories attached to clothing! I'd never have imagined looking at a t-shirt and thinking 'I remember when I bought that for Olivia.' But I did.

But the clothes are packed up - some have gone to the Salvo's, some will be posted to my brother, sister-in-law and niece Caleigh who are in the UK - if they were closer I would have given them the whole jolly lot of girls clothes! And some of the near new are up for sale on a forum I frequent (so far no takers, so they'll probably end up going the same way as all the other clothes)

So some of their clothes may have been worn out - including pairs of shoes - but as a parent, am I worn out? Some days at the end of the day after the kids have gone to bed I feel worn out.... But the next day is a new day... with new energy to be used up by the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment